Sunday, January 25, 2009

Obama-NATION!

What better topic to really kick off this blog than the Man of the Moment, Barack My-Middle-Name-is-Hussein-so-I-Must-be-a-Terrorist Obama. Now I am a huge fan of this man. He is captivating, young, progressive and he talks sense! I'm still refusing to get carried away but he's made a pretty good start to his presidency. He promised to restore science to its rightful place, has taken steps to close Guantanamo Bay, and, most importantly in my opinion, lifted the ban on stem cell research imposed by George I-haven't-got-a-clue-about-running-a-country-so-I'll-let-god-do-it Bush. But his latest big decision has caused quite a stir in the Vatican. In short, he's lifted the ban (there was a lot in the previous administration) on US Funding for International Family Planning Organizations, including those who educate women on abortions. One senior vatican official has accused the President of showing:

the arrogance of those who, being in power, believe they can decide of life and death


Now, since I don't have ovaries and a uterus, I'm not in the best position to make a decision on abortion, but I'm pretty sure this is those in power not making a decision on life and death. The President is removing restrictions on funding Family Planning abroad. That is money going towards educating women in places such as Africa, on the facts of abortion, contraception and sexually transmitted diseases and then to let the women decide.

The vatican really ought to keep their noses out of politics and stick to less important matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment